The "Lady Blunt" Replica Vuillaume Carved Tailpiece
The name Lady Blunt comes from a former owner and British aristocrat, Grand-daughter of Lord Byron, Lady Anne Blunt. Mrs. Blunt was a proficient violin player and contributed to the violin’s preservation. The “Lady Blunt” violin is one the most preserved violins of its kind in the world. The violin was created by a renowned violin maker Antonio Stradivari in 1721.
The Fittings on the instrument were created by a Parisian violin dealer and maker, Jean Baptiste-Vuillaume. Vuillaume was also the first documented owner of the “Lady Blunt” Stradivarius. Vuillaume sold the instrument to Mrs. Blunt in 1864 upon which she played for over 30 years.
This Stradivarius has been treasured by its previous 12 owners. Unlike the majority of existing Strads, it has been through very few wear-and-tear accidents. It is common for even the most careful musicians to still leave marks on their instrument. It is truly amazing this instrument has lived through 290 years and remains unflawed.
The figure on the hand carved tailpiece is of “St. Cecile,” the patron saint of music.